The Case for Business Action on Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH)
Posted on November 27, 2022
by Leonardo Rodriguez
||Jun 8, 2023
This is a small excerpt from the COP 27 Business Declaration For Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) which gives the case for business action on WASH, demonstrates the leadership and commitment of the corporate water stewardship community to create the pathways for systemic change, in partnership with water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) experts and stakeholder.
THE CASE FOR BUSINESS ACTION:
- Water is the primary medium through which climate change influences the Earth’s ecosystem and thus all economic, social, and environmental functions that water supports.
- Water-related climate risks arise from too much water, too little water, and polluted water.
- Climate change directly affects the quality and quantity of water supplies, and impacts the sustainability of sanitation and hygiene behaviors, especially for the most vulnerable.
- Unsafe and unreliable drinking water, sanitation, and hygiene services at home or at work impact people’s health, well-being, and livelihoods.
- Water security and climate resilience help to enable healthy people and communities, business continuity, and growth, across operations, supply chains, and in the sourcing of raw materials
HAVING ACCESS TO WATER, SANITATION, AND HYGIENE (WASH) HELP TO BUILD PEOPLE!S RESILIENCE TO CLIMATE CHANGE:
- In order to be resilient to the challenges that climate change brings, people along corporate value chains and in the communities where they live, need to be water secure.
- Water security includes reliable access to sufficient quantities of good quality water, limited exposure and reduced vulnerability to water-related risks, and the capacity to manage the impacts from climate change at home and at work.
- Safely managed sanitation, hygiene and water supply reduce exposure to harmful diseases and underpin public health enabling people to better cope with climate change impacts.
- Efficient and effective water supply services increase the amount of clean water people have access to in times of scarcity. For example, during extreme climate events.
- Increased water storage, in harmony with the environment, provides a critical buffer, delivering water when and where it is needed.
The WASH4Work network has numerous documents that provide guidance on WASH implementation, Measuring Business benefits, Measuring financial value, and outlining next steps for companies looking to advance their water stewardship journey.
WASH4Work Tools and Resources: